Cancer is inherently traumatic, yet you can heal and thrive using the power of art and writing. By joining this intimate group, you’ll learn the tools you need to reclaim yourself. No artistic skills required to succeed, this is about learning a new way to communicate. I’ll walk everyone though the process, and you’ll be surprised by how talented you are.
As an art therapist and triple negative breast cancer survivor, I’ll be your guide to using the unique protocols that I’ve developed in response to the emotional impact of cancer. Through this transformative group experience, you’ll learn how to use art and writing to tell your story, a vital step towards treating the PTSD that comes from having cancer. Not only will you find closure, but you’ll walk away with a foundation for healing that you can use indefinitely.
The group will help you unpack your experience of: being diagnosed, receiving cancer treatment, going through breast surgery & reconstruction (flat and lumpectomy sisters- you’ll find specific questions for you as well!), healing your body image, and thriving in the face of uncertainty. You’ll be guided to reflect, explore, and synthesize your experience while building strong bonds with the other women in group.
Here’s how the group will function:
- You’ll sign up for a free consultation to discuss the group and see if it’s the right fit for you
- If you’re moving forward, we’ll complete the registration, including a liability release form, service agreement, and payment.
- Once accepted, you’ll receive a welcome email with a list of recommended art supplies and instructions for completing a plaster of paris breast cast. Canvas or art sketch book can be used if a cast isn’t an option for you.
- Group will usually meet every other week, with the exception of the first and final groups. The 1st & 2nd group, and the 11th & 12th group will be one week apart. See below for a complete list of dates and topics.
- Before each new topic, I’ll send you videos that share my expertise on the psychology of cancer specific to the theme we’re focusing on. These videos aim to provide you the context you need for exploring your unique experience. The email will contain contemplative questions that help you unpack your thoughts and feelings, which will provide the information you need to inspire your art exploration of that topic.
- Group sessions will be focused on a specific topic for two sessions. The first session is an opportunity to discuss what you discovered after listening to the video and responding to the contemplative questions. The second session is for sharing what you uncovered using art to reflect your experience. You’ll experience the release of letting go of what you’ve been holding onto and the delicious AHA moments that help you find meaning and feel more integrated. You’ll experience the power of being witnessed and of witnessing others, a transformative experience for everyone.
- Your group will have a private Mighty Networks page, where you can give and receive support while growing your connection to one another. I’ll monitor the page and pop in as needed to answer questions & say hello.
This is a 12 session group that starts on October 7, 2020 @ 5:30pm EST. Each group is 90 minutes long. The group is limited to 6 women. The total cost of the group is $420, which is $35/group.
Here’s the session dates and focus:
- 10/7/2020- Introduction night! We’ll spend time getting to know one another, reviewing what will happen at each meeting, and Stephanie will guide you in an art therapy experiential. Have basic art supplies on hand!
- 10/14 & 10/28- the experience of being diagnosed
- 11/11 & 11/25- going through cancer treatment- chemo/radiation/post chemo medication or all three
- 12/9 & 12/23- breast surgery & reconstruction
- 1/6 & 1/20/2021- body image
- 2/3 & 2/17- thriving in the face of uncertainty
- 2/24- Final group- honoring the growth and healing that you’ve experienced as a group and reflecting upon what’s next for you
Curious? Sign up for a free consultation call! We’ll talk about the group, discuss how art and writing helps you heal, answer any questions that you may have, and help you decide if this is the right fit for you.